Dutchies are not foodies.
I sometimes do not feel at home in my homecountry, because I live to eat and the Dutch eat to live.
With my passion for good food I don’t think I live in the right country. Here for I try to import as much good stuff as possible and to escape as much as possible. I also generally do not eat the local snackfood anymore during or after partying, I even cook in the middle of the night…
But sometimes, one does want to visit a restaurant. To keep you from falling into the same trap as I have many times, for you to avoid the touristplaces, I hereby (in random order!) present you MY FAVOURITE restaurant recommendations in Amsterdam!
- Restaurant Moeders
Affordable (huge plates!), authentic Dutch food, Try a Stamppot! & Have the Old Dutch dessert combination!
Perfect place to bring anyone’s mother. Do reserve! Quickly full.
*Mon-Sun 17.00-1 (Kitchen till 22.30), Rozengracht 251 http://www.moeders.com
- Restaurant Bazar calls itself a “world-eatinghouse”, it’s not a fancy restaurant. It’s in a former church. It’s really pretty inside. Dishes (Eastern, Turkish. etc. Good mix, something for everyone) come in all sizes, from Mezze, soups, to dayspecials etc. A maincourse is very big, (I’m a huge eater and can’t finish a plate.) I prefer to take more smaller dishes to try together. My favourite dish is the mercimek Corbas- Turkish lentilsoup. Ofcourse with sucuk (Turkish garlicsausage) and yoghurtsauce. Snacks untill 15 min before closing!
*Albert Cuypstraat 182, Monday- Thursday 11.00- 24.00/Friday 11.00 -01.00/Saturday 11.00-01.00/ Sunday 11.00 -24.00. https://www.bazaramsterdam.nl
- Worst – sausage and winebar. Worst means sausage.
My favourite newest discovery! My favourite was the wild boar sausage with “Hete bliksem”, a typical Dutch-must-try and a good glass of Cava.
* Barentszstraat 171, Tuesday-Saturday 16.00-00.00/Sunday 10.00-22.00. Monday closed. http://deworst.nl
- Cafe Loetje- Worldfamous amongst the Dutch for the best steak. I have to say I had better in Croatia, Slovenia & Spain, but for Amsterdam standards it’s definitely very good and possibly the best. No-nonsense Dutch style & mentality (“Hey, you here again?” instead of “How can I help you,Sir/Madam, welcome”.) They have a few restaurants, the most central one is around the corner of the Museumplein, on the border of De Pijp and Centrum; on the corner of Johannes Vermeerstraat & Ruysdaelstraat. http://www.cafeloetje.nl
- De Culinaire Werkplaats. Not a restaurant! Vegetarian eating experience & concepts. Benelux best vegetable restaurant 2012, excellent concept, very special! An eat’inspiration consists of 5 dishes: an eat.cocktail, 2 savourish dishes, and 2 sweetish dishes. these dishes are an interpretation of regularly changing inspirational concepts, like black, honesty, flowers, or emotions. Reservation very recommended! After you have eaten you decide on how much you will pay.
* Next to Westerpark; Fannius Scholtenstraat 10. http://www.deculinairewerkplaats.nl
Here my blogposts about this place: http://dlcsmanagement.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/pure-pact-by-veggie-in-pumps-at-de-culinaire-werkplaats http://dlcsmanagement.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/the-naturalists-foodfashion-dinner-experience http://dlcsmanagement.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/kind-of-a-journalist-organic-haircare
- Sari Citra. Again an “eatinghouse”, no restaurant. NOTE: The dishes are made of plastic. BUT (also according to my Indonesian grandmom:) The best Indonesian food in Amsterdam! Try for example a Nasi Kunin if available, a festive anc complete Indonesian “Rijsttafel”. If you’re not superhungry, try my favourite snack; Lemper. It’s a steamed rice roll stuffed with spiced & chicken. My childhood favourite snack ever. (And no I haven’t been brave enough to try to make them myself) *Ferdinand Bolstraat 52, Hours Mon – Sun:14.00-21.00h. No website.
- Amsterdam’s best Spanish restaurant; La Oliva Pinxtos y vino. From 17.00 freshly made Pinxtos will be on the bar for you to choose. You decide what you want, tell the waitress and she’ll warm it up if required and delivers nicely presented to your table. *Mon-Wed 12.00- 22.00, Thursday-Saturday 12.00-23.00, Sunday 12.00- 22.00. Egelantiersstraat 122-124 http://www.laoliva.nl
On my still-to-visit-list
- Ams’ best Japanese restaurant in the Okura hotel; Yamazato, lunch: 14.00, dinner 18.00- 21.30. Ferdinand Bolstraat 333 http://www.yamazato.nl/en
- Restaurant Red serves lobster, tournedos and not much more, 7 days a week, 18.00-00.00. Sounds perfect, right? Keizersgracht 594 http://www.restaurantred.nl
- Restaurant Marius has been chosen as (one of) Ams’ best restaurants, but I’ve never been there yet.
They present themselves as “small livingroom restaurant with a daily changing 4 course menu”. One of my favourites, Worst, is the little causin (and next door) of this place. Sunday & Monday closed. Barentszstraat 173 http://deworst.nl/restaurant-marius-table-dhote
Please do let me know if you have visited one of the places, what did you eat and how was it? Do you know any other places I should definitely visit in Ams too?